Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Arbi Curry


ARBI CURRY

I just don't understand why so many people hate this vegetable.  They call this vegetable as itchy potato as well. I love this vegetable a lot and have tried many versions with this. My most favorite is this recipe. This goes well with rice / roti.

Ingredients:
arbi - 1/2 kg
onion - 2 (chopped)
tomato - 2(chopped)
tamarind - size of a lemon sized balls (I used tamarind cubes - 3 no.s)
salt to taste
coconut paste - 4 - 5 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
sambar powder - 2 tsp
ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
corriander leaves - 3 tsp (chopped)
curry leaves - 5 - 6
oil - 2 - 4 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
urad dal - 1/2 tsp



Method:
Preparing arbi:
- pressure cook arbi for 3 whistles
- peel off the skin and cut them as required, I cut them into long thin slices
- add a pinch of salt and red chilli powder and marinate them for 2 mins
- fry them till they are crisp and firm in 2 - 3 tsp of oil, leave it aside
- in a pan add oil
- add mustard seeds and urad dal when the oil is hot
- add curry leaves and onions
- fry till they are golden brown
- add tomatoes and salt
- fry till are mushy
- now add ginger garlic paste and fry well
- when the smell is gone add turmeric powder and sambar powder
- mix well and fry for 2 mins
- add water and allow that to cook till  the raw smell is gone
- add coconut paste and corriander leaves
- allow that to cook for 2 mins
- add the fried arbi pieces and cover and cook
- cook for 5 mins in low fire and serve.



1 comment:

Misty said...

I haven't tried arbi. Maybe, it's just the time to go out of my usual recipes and try something new. Where do I buy arbi? Can't remember if there's some at a store in our place. Also, turmeric/curcumin? I rarely see them.