This dish was taught to me by my Granny. When I used to stay in Pondy, this rice was my friends favourite delicacy. I was tired of making this rice over and over again and they were never tried of eating it..
I could call this as multipurpose way of cooking!!!!!!!The tomato paste what is prepared before mixing with the rice can also be used as a side dish with Appam, idli, idiyappam and dosa's.
The tomato chutney can be stored under fridge upto 2 weeks.
Tomatoes - 10 - 12
Cooked rice - 2 cups
salt to taste
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
oil - 6-7 tbsp
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
coconut - 2 tsp (grated)
To dry roast:
(dry roast each of the ingredient seperately and grind to a coarse powder)
corriander seeds - 2 tbsp
red chillies - 6 - 7
pepper - 1 tbsp
hing - 1/4 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
channa dal - 1 tbsp
urad dal - 1 tbsp
curry leaves - 10 - 12
- wash and add the tomatoes in a bowl of water
- heat the bowl with the tomatoes for 5 - 7 mins
- let it to cool
- peel off the skin and grind them to a fine paste
- grind coconut to a fine paste by adding some water
- in a pan add oil- add the tomato puree and the coconut paste
- add the turmeric powder and salt
- mix well and fry until all the raw smell vanishes
- then add the powder (ground powder) and mix well.
- when the oil starts to seperate remove from fire and allow it to cool
- Mix with rice and serve hot