thuvar dal - 1 cup
tomato - 1 (chopped)
salt to taste
hing - 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
coconut - 4 tbsp (grated)
red chillies - 15
corriander seeds - 1 tsp
pepper - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds - 3/4th tsp
onion - 1 chopped
oil - 1 tsp
onion - 1 (chopped)
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
urad dal - 1/2 tsp
curry leaves - 10 - 15
oil - 1 tbsp
Tamarind extract - 2 tbsp
corriander leaves - 2 tsp (chopped)
- add dal, tomato, salt, hing, turmeric powder and some water in a pressure cooker and cook till they are soft and mushy
- add 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add coconut,corriander seeds, red chillies, pepper, cumin seeds , fenugreek seeds, onion and fry till you get a lovely aroma
- allow them to cook and grind to a fine paste
- in a pan add oil and add mustard seeds when the oil is hot.
- add the urad dal and curry leaves and fry
- add the chopped onion and fry till they are golden brown
- add the ground paste and fry for 4 - 5 mins till the raw smell is gone
- now add the tamarind extract and the dal mixture
- allow them to cook
- add the chopped corriander leaves and cook till they arre done and serve.
My friend Usha..
When my friend gave me this recipe, she asked me to add some vegetables as well. But I was happy to prepare this way as usually my DH doesnt like vegetables in Sambar. You can cook fry vegetables and pressure cook for 1 whistle , then add them to the sambar as well. Goes well with Kerala rice and papad.