Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dates and Walnut Squares

DATES AND WALNUT SQUARES

HI,

I was looking into this recipe for atleast 2 months and wanted to do this recipe for one good reason  to celebrate. And I did this for this wonderful reason as my post is 525th post. Wow.. looks like I have just started the blog and in days Im here.

I should thank you all for this kind of appreciation and strength for me to keep going.

Iam sure the recipe looks simple, but, the base and the top part of the dough on the tray was the most trickiest one!! The taste was awesome.. Iam sorry about the pictures.. as the squares were about to get over and I pulled some of them and clicked a pic in a hurry... Iam sure to redo this again.. and the day is not very far away.

Thanks a lot to Ayeesha for this recipe. This recipe was mild and awesome.. yet rich too!!

I did some modifications and came out too well!!

Ingredients:
Fine semolina(semolina flour)- 150 g
( I used Chiroti Rava)
Plain flour- 150 g
Baking Powder- 3/4 tsp
Butter-150 g
Icing sugar- 3 tbsp
Milk- 3 to 4 tbsp
Pitted dates- 250 g
Cinnamon powder- 1/2 tsp
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
Walnuts- 5 tbsp



Method:
- I steamed the dates in a pressure pan for 1 Whiste.
- then added cinnamon powder, cardamom powder to the dates and mashed it well.
- to prepare the dough, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, semolina and seive twice.
- I even added 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder to this.. for a lovely flavour
- added the butter to the dry items and prepared a crumb like dough
- to that added the milk and mixed well
- when it formed a dough kind of mixture i divided this dough into two equal parts.
- I lined the baking pan with baking sheet
- with one dough ball, I rolled it out and made a thin long sheet
- I placed it carefully on the tray and trimmed the sides
- applied the dates paste well and made sure it was all even
- roasted the walnuts and crushed  them coarsely
- and added that to the dates mixture
- now comes the tricky part, the upper layer of the squares
- rolled the dough into a thin sheet and then placed the sheet on the tray (I found that to be the harder side of this recipe)
-  trim the sides
- preheat the oven at 180 degrees
- and bake this squares at 180 degrees for 30 mins
- remove and allow them to cool
- cut them into squares and serve.


Source:
http://tasteofpearlcity.blogspot.com/2011/01/dates-and-walnut-squares.html

6 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

Hmmm, looks so yumm. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Your new layout also looks good.

lubnakarim06 said...

Congrats on milestone post.....squares look yummy....

Reva said...

Congrats and keep doing a lovely job... I must say the squares look lovely ... No wonder it was a hit...glad everyone enjoyed:)
Reva

Hari Chandana P said...

Healthy and delicious recipe.. looks awesome !!

SouthindianHome said...

Healthy dessert. Nice recipe

amna said...

oh my, they look great. i love anything with dates!