BLACK EYED PEAS AND GREENS CURRY
This is the first time Iam preparing this dish. Its been a long time since I purchased this Black eye peas. I either make sundal or sabji but never had tried this. I wanted to make green curry today and just then realised that there is no Thuvar dal at home. Hence substituted the peas and with hesitation prepared it the same way how I used to prepare any greens curry.
Fortunately, this recipe turned out to be a hit! It tasted good and was easy to prepare as well.
Black eye peas - 1/2 cup (soaked overnight)
onion - 2 (roughly chopped)
vadagam - 1 tsp (see vadagam recipe)
tomato - 2 (roughly chopped)
amarnath leaves - 2 cups (roughly chopped)
salt to taste
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
hing - 1/4 tsp
green chillies - 4 (roughly chopped)
garlic - a handful (peeled)
oil - 2 - 3 tsp
curry leaves - 1 handful
- in a pressure pan add peas, amarnath leaves, 1 onion (chopped), tomato, garlic, green chillies, salt, hing, turmeric powder and water
- pressure cook for 6 - 7 whistles
- smash them coarsely. Dont use blender.
- in a pan add oil
- add the vadagam. Then add the remaining onions and fry for 2 - 3 mins
- add the curry leaves and add them to the greens curry.
- bring them to a boil for another 5 mins
- serve with rice or roti's