This fish is mostly consumed by breast feeding mothers. In olden times, why even today these fishes are cooked and served to the feeding mothers. Its said that more milk is formed when this fish is taken. This fish is also known as Pal sura. This fish is one of an excellent dish that could be taken with some simple rice.
This fish is banned for ladies who are pregnant and usually not allowed to consume until they deliver.
This fish is also used to make real good cutlets as well.
Sura meen (Shark fish) - 1/2 kg
onions - 1/4 kg
green chillies - 4 - 5 ( to taste)
garlic - a handful (peeled)
salt to taste
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
curry leaves - 10 - 12
oil to fry
- in a pressure pan add the washed and cleaned fish along with some turmeric and salt
- add some water and steam it for 2 whistles
- remove from the stove and keep it aside
- peel the garlic and chop them coarsely.
- chop onion finely
- chop green chillies into finely after removing the seeds.
- now remove the skin of the fish
- wash the fish again and make sure that the bones are removed as well
- now smash it well
- the fish will look like puttu
- in a kadai add oil
- add onions, garlic and green chillies
- fry until the garlic are cooked and the onions are nice brown in colour
- now add the fish and salt
- fry well
- leave it in simmer for 5 mins
- cook till the fish is golden brown
- add the curry leaves and remove from fire
Thanks goes to:
Nalini Aunty!!!!She believed me that I will not spoil the dish and gave the option to cook this dish. And Bingo.. my first trial was a real success. She is my guru in all my cooking!!!