URAD DAL KANJI
Iam not sure if you are all aware of this kind of a kanji (porridge). This is usually prepared by my granny. This dish has its medicinal value and treats cold and fever.
This recipe tastes awesome and refreshing when taken during heavy rainy seasons. Granny prepares this when ever I catch cold or when there is a heavy downpour. She serves this as a dinner for us. Each of us take atleast 2 glasses before we hit the bed.. and dont ask how we eat the next day morning as this is also a good dish to make you feel terribly hungry the next day morning.
This is also given to ladies who are breast feeding. Its said that this kanji increases the milk flow and also given to ladies who have their monthly periods. Its belived that Urad dal when taken during periods reduces the abdomenal pain as well..
This dish tastes awesome when prepared with the palm jaggery, if not can try with regular jaggery but the taste is not assured. And you can use regular milk as well instead of coconut milk which is again gonna change the taste..
Here's the recipe:
urad dal - 1/2 cup (soaked for 2 hrs)
water - 2 cups
coconut milk (thick extract) - 2 cups
dry ginger powder - 2 tbsp
cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
palm jaggery - 1/2 cup
- grind the urad dal to a fine paste
- boil water and when its very hot add the ground paste and mix well
- keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- when the mixture gets cooked and the raw smell goes off add the jaggery and mix well
- when the jaggery is dissolved add the coconut milk, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder
- when its in a porridge consistancy remove from fire, strain and serve warm