Thursday, July 22, 2010

Adhirasam

ADHIRASAM

I made this recipe when I was travelling to Chennai. I made this as a surprise gift to Mom. Mom was so happy and she liked it. I learnt this recipe from one of the books I had collected years ago.

I have posted the pictures of both the dough and the fried adhirasam.
This is the original recipe. But I had made a blunder in the recipe where even after two days the dough was a kinnda thin and was not stiff. I took help from Shanthi Aunty and added some more damp rice flour to the existing dough and made it stiff. So now I have changed the ingredients accordingly.

Thanks Shanthi Aunty. The recipe came out well. Mom was really happy with my gift.

Ingredients:
rice (paccha arisi) - 1 cup
jaggery (grated) - 3/4th cup
cardamom - 10 - 12
oil - to deep fry


Method:
- soak rice in water and leave it aside for 1 hr
- drain the water and spread the rice on a cloth and allow the cloth to absorb the excess moisture.
- now grind the rice to a fine powder in a mixer grinder while its still damp
- seive the rice and use only the fine particles.
- now add 1/4 cup of water to the jaggery and bring it to boil
- strain the jaggery
- again bring the jaggery to boil and allow that to boil until the syrup forms as a ball when dropped into the water.
- this consistency is before the string syrup.
- meanwhile crush the cardamoms and add that to the damp rice flour and mix that well
- slowly add the syrup to the mixture and mix well
- add the syrup little by little and mix until all the syrup is used.
- keep that in the room temperature for 3 - 4 days before preparing the recipe
- while preparing the adhirasam, add oil to the pan
- take small balls of the dough, and pat them into flat rounds and drop them into the oil
- while the dough puffs up, turn them the other side and then while removing from them oil, hold the adhirasam between 2 laddle and press them well until the oil are well drained.
- serve them.
- this could be stored in an airtight container for more than 20 days.



3 comments:

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Nice one sapthu. The click is nice and hope would have tasted great too. Thanks for rememebring me. Hope you would have settled in Bangalore.

Suja Manoj said...

Love this..beautiful clicks too.

mixer grinders said...

I can not wait to try adhirasam.great recipe!!I really enjoy your blog,the photography is wonderful.