Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sambar Powder (Andra Style)

SAMBAR POWDER (ANDRA STYLE)

Hi all,

Here Iam back with another type of Sambar powder. This is the andra style sambar powder usually prepared by my Nalini Aunty (my chennai landlord). O man, She was an awesome cook.
The sambar powder which Mom taught me stayed in my kitchen shelf for 1.5 years. Though it was one of the tastiest one, Iam a bit bored with the same taste. My taste buds wanted something even spicier and good.


So prepared this sambar powder. The saddest part is that in the area where I reside we dont have a flour mill. Its a bit far and I have to either ask my hubby to take me or I should go in the auto. Without thinking about that option I had already fried the ingredients. The ingredients can be left to cool for just 3 - 4 hrs after that if not ground then the flavour is lost. So I decided to grind my powder little by little in my mixer grinder. Though it was not as fine as ground in a flour mill, atleast to the extent of a manageable state.. So here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
corriander seeds - 1/4 kg
red chillies - 1/4 g
thuvar dal - 5 tsp
bengal gram - 4 tsp
pepper - 2 tsp
cumin seeds - 2 tspf
enugreek seeds - 1 tsp
hing - 1 tsp
tumeric - a handful

Method:
- in a pan dry roast all the above ingredients
- allow them to cool in the room temperature for 3 - 4 hours
- grind them to a fine powder
- after grinding this spread them on a paper and allow them to cool
- after that store them in an airtight container.
- have a small container in which you can store this powder for daily use. As and when the powder gets over, refill the container from the bigger one so that the aroma is not lost and that stays for long..

No comments: