Rice (boiled rice) - 4 cups
urad dal - 1 cup
Cooked rice - 1/2 cup
methi seeds (fenugreek) - 1 tsp
salt to taste
appam soda - 2 pinches
- soak rice, urad dal and methi seeds in water for 3 - 4 hours
- grind the rice and dal with the methi seeds until they form a thick and smooth paste
- now grind the cooked rice along with this mixture
- add salt to taste and mix well
- leave them to rest outside overnight
- In the morning add soda to it.
- mix well
- rest it for 2 - 3 mins and then make idlis.
Bachelor's idli flour:
Soaking rice will take 4 - 5 hours. And if you are grinding the batter in the mixer grinder, the mixer grinder wil not last long as well.
Take one kg of rice and soak in water.
Drain water and dry them in hot sun.
Grind it into a fine powder.
Seive and store it in an airtight container.
When you want to make idlis, just soak urad dal and methi seeds for 1 hour.
Grind them along with cooked rice and add 4 cups of this powder and make a batter.
Add salt and leave that over night to get fermented.
Rest of the procedure is the same