2 cups of puttu rice powder
1 cup of grated coconut
Salt to taste
Luke warm water - 3 cups
How to make puttu powder:
- soak rice in water and leave it for 4 - 5 hrs.
- dry them and grind it into a fine powder
- now steam it and then leave it to cool
- break the lumps and then seive it until its a smooth powder
- this could be stored in a airtight container and can be used for 6 months
How to make puttu mixture:-
mix puttu powder and salt
- pour the luke warm water slowly and mix this well
- mix in such a consistancy that the powder will look like bread crumbs.
- and when you hold it in your hand it shouldn't form a ball.
- then now put the mixture in a big plate
- take a tumbler and start mincing the mixture using the mouth of the tubler untill it looks like crumbles.
- this mixture is ready.
- this mixture can be stored in a fridge for 2 days and can be used when the puttu needs to be prepared
How to make puttu:
- in the picture you will see the puttu maker
- put the small plate inside the mould and put one spoon of the mixture and a small spoon of grated coconut.
- add the mixture and coconut alternatively and close with a lid
- steam it for 10 mins
- you would also see the stick through which you can push out the cooked or steam puttu on the plate.
- ghee and sugar
- kadala kulambu
-any spicy veg kulambu.
Thanks goes to:
Selveshwari aathai. She is from Srilanka and she taught me how to make this recipe. It came out amazingly awesome. Thanks aathai.