Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Quick Mango Pickle

MANGO PICKLE

This is a quick sweet - sour - spicy pickle that could be prepared. This can be stored upto 15 days when left outside. If left inside the fridge it could last for more than a month.



Ingredients:
For powder
Fenugreek - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame (Til) seeds - 1 tsp

For pachadi:
Fenugreek seeds - 1/ 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
mango - Sour - 1 large
Red chilli powder - 3 -4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Jaggery - one handful.
Green chillies - 2 -3
Curry leaves - one handful
Oil - 1 cup


Method:
- In a kadai dry toast fenugreek seeds, seasame seeds, mustard seeds and grind it into a coarse powder.
- Cut mango into cubes after peeling the skin out.
- Add oil in the kadai. To it add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fry. When they splutter add the mango cubes and fry.
- Cut the green chillies into half.
- Add curry leaves and the green chillies along with the turmeric and mix well.
- Now add the red chillie powder and jaggery and leave it to boil and cook until the oil seperates.
- Make sure the mangoes are cooked and the raw smell has vanished.
- Now add the coarse powder and remove from fire.
- Allow it to cool.


Thanks goes to:
Thanks Nalini Aunty. She was my land lord when I was staying in Chennai. I am lucky in all ways.. especially the people I meet are awesome cooks. She is my first guru who identified that I have an interest in cooking and gave a chance to learn almost everything. I started cooking when I was in my 5th Std Vacation. In two years I was trained in such a way that I can cook anything ... and started getting the name as " YOUNG COOK" in my area as well. Hats off aunty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this information.